Friday, November 9, 2012

IR(new)B

Poets and literary scholars aren't necessarily used to filling our institutional research paperwork. Writing poetry and literary criticism often doesn't require human subject research. Until this project, I've never thought of seeking certification, but seek it now I must. In the very near future, I'll be interviewing, on audio and video, lots of people involved in poetry scenes around the country, starting in my home base of Greater New York and moving in January to Tampa and New Orleans; then on to Bay Area and to Appalachia in the spring; and then to Rochester/Buffalo/Cleveland in the summer of 2013.

So I am learning to be an ethical researcher, one who creates effective surveys and valid release forms; one who stores and destoys data responsibly; one who shares data when appropriate; and one who decides how many real names he can use in his non-fiction narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment